Headlining the 2020 collection of 62 pink, blue, violet and red diamonds is Lot 1: Argyle Eternity™, a 2.24 carat round brilliant Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink diamond. The Argyle Eternity™ is the largest Fancy Vivid round brilliant diamond ever offered at the Tender.
Rio Tinto general manager of sales and marketing Mr. Patrick Coppens said “We are delighted to showcase this highly sought after collection of rare diamonds in Singapore. We have seen, and continue to see, strong demand in the Asia market together with an appreciation of their ever increasing rarity.”
Rio Tinto’s Argyle diamond mine in the far north of Western Australia is virtually the world’s sole source of pink, red, violet and blue diamonds. The last day of mining at Argyle was November 3, 2020, and the mine will now transition to closing the mine and returning the land to the traditional custodians.
The 62 diamonds in the 2019 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender weigh a total of 57.23 carats and include six ‘hero’ diamonds selected for their unique beauty and named to ensure there is a permanent record of their contribution to the history of the world’s most important diamonds:
- Lot 1: Argyle Eternity™, 2.24 carat round brilliant Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink diamond
- Lot 2: Argyle Ethereal™, 2.45 carat square radiant shaped Fancy Intense Purple-Pink diamond
- Lot 3: Argyle Sakura™, 1.84 carat pear shaped Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink diamond
- Lot 4: Argyle Emrys™, 0.43 carat princess shaped Fancy Deep Grayish Violetish Blue diamond
- Lot 5: Argyle Skylar™, 0.33 carat heart shaped Fancy Dark Gray-Violet diamond
- Lot 6: Argyle Infinité™, 0.70 carat oval shaped Fancy Dark Violet-Gray diamond
Also included in the Tender 2020 offering are 12 lots of carefully curated and never to be repeated sets of miniature rare Argyle pink, red, blue and violet diamonds, weighing 13.90 carats in total. Titled The Petite Suites, these collectible diamonds have been meticulously curated over a five year period, striking a harmonious balance between size, shape, colour and clarity.
The 2020 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender, is the penultimate Tender in the 37 year operating history of the mine. A final Tender will take place in 2021, based on the 2020 production from Argyle.
The 2020 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender is being showcased in Perth, Singapore and Antwerp with bids closing on 2 December 2020.