New Delhi: The Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India is organizing Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards (PBSA) on 9th January, 2017. PBSA are conferred as part of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Conventions that have been organized by the Government of India since 2003. PBSA is the highest honor conferred on Overseas Indians. The Awards shall be presented by the Ministry of External Affairs at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas on 9th January every alternate year.
The Award shall be conferred on a Non-Resident Indian, Person of Indian Origin or an organization or institution established and run by Non-Resident Indians or Persons of Indian Origin, who has made significant contribution in any one of the following fields:
For Achievements in Abroad
- Better understanding abroad of India;
- Support to India’s causes and concerns in a tangible way;
- Building closer links between India, the overseas Indian community and their country of residence;
- Social and humanitarian causes in India or abroad;
- Welfare of the local Indian community;
- Philanthropic and charitable work;
- Eminence in one’s field or outstanding work, which has enhanced India’s prestige in the country of residence; or
- Eminence in skills which has enhanced India’s prestige in that country (for non-professional workers.
For Achievements within India:
- Philanthropic investments and charitable work in India;
- For contributions made towards India’s Development.
The following authorized persons or organizations shall be eligible to nominate eminent persons, organizations or institutions for the Award within the stipulated date and time and in prescribed format:
- Governors of States and Lt. Governors of Union Territories in India;
- Heads of Indian Diplomatic Missions/Heads of Indian Diplomatic Posts abroad.
However, Heads of Indian Diplomatic Missions/Posts abroad may restrict the nominations to a maximum of 3 to 5 considering the size of Diaspora population in their country of accreditation.
- c) Chairman and Members of the Parliamentary Standing Committee dealing with the Ministry of External Affairs.
- d) The Executive Head of Prominent Overseas Indian Associations with nation-wide character as may be decided by the Ministry of External Affairs.
However, the associations shall not nominate their own office bearers.
- Previous awardees of Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award.
- The State Government has decided to nominate your name for necessary consideration to Government of India for the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award – 2017.
The Gazette Notification and the Nomination Form are available on the Ministry of External Affairs website mea.gov.in under Overseas Indian Affairs – Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards.
Interested persons are requested to send an early response.